Friday, July 27, 2012

Lemming Fever


Have you ever worked with or for anyone who has inspired your inner lemming?

Someone you would willingly follow off a cliff into the As Yet Unknown, because they have ignited in you a passion so fierce and utterly compelling, that not knowing the terror and ecstasy of that 8 second free fall seems worse than the potential of a single, terminal “splat”?

When I contract a sustained case of "Lemming Fever" (as I describe the above condition), I know I am in the presence of a great leader. There are many qualities that can describe great leaders, but there are several in particular that resonate with me.

The great leaders I’ve met inspire me to believe in them, but also, without my even being aware of it, they inspire me to believe in myself. They recognize in me attributes and potential that I may not see, tease them out, buff them to a brilliant shine and reward them. The magic here is that I come to believe that we can achieve the goal; I become invested because I believe in both the leader's vision and what I can contribute to it. 

The best leaders help me see and understand my role in the ecosystem, and how it relates to the greater good and benefit of all. 

When the human mirrors around them reflect changes that must begin with and/or be sustained by them, they respond with humility and integrity of action. 

Great leaders deflect credit and heap it upon those around them. And they mean it. They live by "we" versus "me".

They don’t need to tell me what they want or believe or are committed to doing, because they’re too busy showing me.

In addition to finding interesting ways to engage and challenge the matter between my ears, they understand what matters to my heart and find ways to encourage that, too.

Great leaders challenge the status quo and encourage others to do the same. They make time to explain the “why” behind the “what” for every person at every level, and model how each of us – whether individual, group or organization – is either moving forward or sliding backward.  

In my estimation, great leaders avoid rhetoric and “buzz” words, favoring plain talk that helps constituents answer those perennial, existential questions such as: Who am I to you? Where do I fit? Does what I do matter and if so, how? Do you see me? Hear me? Do you care?

Even today, when long-term loyalty between employers and employees is in decline, great leaders can still engender such sentiments. At the very least, they can earn respect and credibility by acknowledging that employees know their jobs best, and by talking openly and honestly with (not at) employees about issues and decisions that affect the organization.

Great leaders are willing to fail on occasion, and are not exempt from the rules that apply to "the masses". No one is held to higher standards than those to which they hold themselves. They push through their limitations and places of discomfort to grow and evolve, even if they look imperfect doing it. They show up and own up every time it counts. 


I think humility and humanity are central to great leadership. Every great leader I've met has a killer sense of humor and refuses to take himself or herself too seriously. They cultivate an environment where laughter is an essential nutrient, and the ability to laugh at oneself is a core competency. 

I believe great leaders are passionate about great leadership. They don’t want to “manage” people, they want to inspire, groom and mentor other great leaders. They don’t want people to “follow” them, they want people to take ownership of the vision and carry it forward of their own volition – with the necessary direction, resources and support – but fueled by personal passion, not a mandate or a model for action.

I don’t know how much cliff jumping is in my future, and I’m not selling my parachute on eBay any time soon. But this week, during time spent with several leaders from my past and present, I’ve felt the flush and tingle of Lemming Fever stirring in my veins. And it feels something like hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment