Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tending the Goats

I am asked, in a dream, to tend a friend's goats. Her request requires that I choose between an old commitment and a new one; to face my fears and risk failure in trying something new; to put the needs of others before my own sense of ease and security. 

In exploring aspects of the dream through a poem, I find myself reconnected with the path of nature, with the excitement and joy that new challenges can bring, and the importance of remaining open to life's larger lessons.

Tending the Goats/Honoring a Dream

I am coming!
I am coming!
I found the key,
beautiful girls,
and I am coming.

Through sunlit woods
and down the well-marked path
to your door
I will travel,
silver pails swinging.

I will offer food and drink
in return for your
sure-footed company,
will delight in your curious gaze
as you learn to recognize me
and I learn to recognize myself
in you.

I had other plans today
but I chose you
or you chose me,
or perhaps we are choosing
each other.

I have never done this before
but having chosen, at last,
I am ready to work,
ready to learn.
I left my fear along the path,
somewhere between
the leaves crunching underfoot
and the breeze stirring
in the pines.

Teach me to climb and trust
the earth beneath me.
Teach me to climb and seek
the sky above.
Teach me to be agile
when the landscape changes without warning,
to trust my heart
and the warmth of your lips on my open palm.

Oh, hard-headed beauties,
you wear your confidence like a cloak,
wield your independence like a shield.
But you play like rambunctious children
and it feels so good to laugh.

My arms will be tired tonight,
but my heart will be full.

Standing before your door
which has not yet swung open to greet me,
I catch myself, day dreaming
our afternoon together
before remembering that I am still holding
the key.


July 17, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment